Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Taking Rest and watching movies

One of the nicest things about doing nothing for a week was a chance to watch some movies. I have to admit to being a bit of a film buff. I'll re watch a movie that I like several times. I've seen things like Pulp Fiction and Raising Arizona in the double digits. Yes, I'll pick up a DVD of a movie I've seen several times just to watch the Directors Commentary or other juicy special features. Basically, I would rather see repeat viewings of a movie that I like rather than sit through a plotless Hollywood Cash Grab.

We don't get to watch very many movies any more though. Those with kids and/or their own business can relate I'm sure. So I reveled in the chance to kick back with a few movies while resting. My week in film went like this:

1. While recovering from surgery in the hospital I was so happy when Ghostbusters came on the telly. I haven't seen this Bill Murray (love him) classic since I caught it on the big screen as a young fellow. It really holds up. The special effects are still solid, back before everything was "painted on" with CGI. I recommend it!

2. Browsing through the selection at the local Children's Library, I picked up a copy of In The Valley of Elah about a father searching for his son who recently returned from Iraq and has since gone AWOL. It's not a very uplifting movie but well acted (Tommy Lee Jones and Charlize Theron). I suppose the film ended up at the Children's Library by mistake. Recommended if you do not mind a bit of a downer...

3. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the art of CGI. I've seen the entire Pixar catalog including earlier short films. Heleen and I saw Finding Nemo while in Mumbai on the big screen and have seen it several times since. Recently, I've started branching out and watching non Pixar films. We watched Ice Age with Evan and all loved it! Evan especially loved the little squirrel creature Scrat, big squeals of delight with every bonk on the head. Recommended.

4. Ocean's 13 was available at the Adult Library so we decided to enjoy a no brainer movie. It was a lot of fun. Heleen and I got to fantasize about being Vegas high rollers trying to pull one over on Al Pacino and his Hulk Hogan style perma-tan. I have to admit that we generally see and enjoy everything with George and Brad. Also recommended.

5. and 6. We were on a roll with our movies until our mail man delivered out Netflix choices of Bruno and Observe and Report. Both movies made it on the Que because we really enjoy the respective lead actors Sacha Baron Cohen and Seth Rogen. Interesting that both movies arrived on the same day. Both of these "comedies" left me feeling depressed. While O and R had few redeeming qualities, Bruno did provide a few big laughs. I do appreciate that Cohen is pushing people way beyond their comfort levels, like a modern Osho. But again, the movie left me feeling a little down. I would recommend Bruno for those who enjoy a wicked sense of humor and do not mind squirming while watching others squirm on the screen.

7. Finally, we re watched Rushmore. This is one of those movies that gets better with repeat viewings and more Bill Murray. This Criterion Collection DVD had a ton of special features including a documentary "making of" (filmed by Wes Anderson's brother) and commentary track. I didn't get to watch the commentary, so I'll have to do that in the future. I can't wait for the Fantastic Mr. Fox to come out on DVD.

Now that I'm back on my normal schedule, we usually only get to watch movies on the weekend. Julie and Julia just arrived in the mail which I'm very excited about!

Any recommendations for us?

For now the balcony is closed,

adarsh

No comments: