Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Dog is Back!

Week 2 of my appendix-free yoga began on Sunday. Feeling pretty confidant after an optimistic meeting with the surgeon on Friday, I was ready to add gentle back bending postures to my practice.

I spent last week doing Sun Salutations skipping the upward facing dog. The sequence went a little something like this:

1. Inhale the arms up
2. Exhale bend forward
3. Inhale open up
4. Exhale directly to downward dog
5. Inhale step forward open up
6. Exhale bend forward
7. Inhale arms up
Exhale Samasthiti

Armed with the confidence of the surgeon's "thumbs up" and a general good feeling around my incisions, I was ready to gently arch the back. I began by lowering from plank all the way to the floor. Then I did gentle back strengthening postures like shalambasana and a low cobra pose. After 5 or so Namaskars, a very mellow version of the upward dog was introduced, no problem!

I was able to continue practicing the entire primary series omitting only a few postures where the heel might press into my incision areas such as janu sirsasasana C, and Marichyasana B and D. I even practiced Urdhva Danurasana trying to only moderately stretch the abdomen, keeping the arch in the upper back.

Energy wise, I feel pretty much back to normal. In my teaching and life activities I also feel pretty normal, just taking extra care with any lifting, etc.

As you know, the best thing about getting sick is getting better! Yet again, I have a chance to appreciate good health and feeling vibrant.

Thanks for reading!

adarsh

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hai dog adarsh,

it`s good to read that you are getting flexible again and feeling better. your my brother because i`m appendixfree also hahahahaha,
i hope my english is understandeble?????

lots of love
greetje