Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Slowly, slowly starting back yoga after surgery

As many of you know, last Monday I underwent an emergency surgery to remove my appendix. I'm guessing that an appendectomy is always an emergency surgery?

Knock on wood, I've always been lucky in health. In fact, this was the first time I've ever been in the hospital (as a patient) for anything and have not seen a doctor (other than Ayurvedic) since I was a small child. Oh well, I guess it was time for a new experience!

Before continuing I should define; "yoga" in the title of this post is referring to my asana practice. I actually never stopped practicing the yoga of breath and mindfulness (that's the real stuff) which was extremely helpful in calming my anxiety before the operation (anesthesia, being cut, possible death, financial cost of health care in America...) As always, staying with my breath and trusting in the process and the extremely qualified staff at Stanford helped a ton.

While recovering in the hospital room the day after the operation I began with gentle Chi Kung and Active Isolated Stretching for my neck and shoulders. My belief is that allowing the oxygen, blood, chi to flow consciously through the body would expedite the healing process. I already felt much better having lost one sick appendix. The doctors and nurses seemed pleased with how everything looked and sent me home. I was able to decline any pain medication as I only had mild soreness from the incisions. I wanted to have my wits about me.

I came home on Tuesday and spent the week recovering by watching movies (I should include some reviews here), weening myself from coffee (goodbye my french roasted friend), and trying not to lift heavy objects like baby, cat, manduka yoga mat...

Before continuing I should mention that I would not encourage anyone to practice post op without the approval of their surgeon. I based my decision to practice on trusting in my own sensitivity, knowledge of anatomy, and mind/body awareness based on a 15 year practice. I know how to go slow with care and patience.

Yesterday morning (Monday-exactly one week post op) I was ready to begin a gentle Ashtanga practice. My focus is currently on what I can do rather than what can not be done: The "Not Yet" category includes back bending (including upward dog), deep twists, lotus pose (not wanted to press the heal into the abdomen). The "Can Do" list is quite long I am pleased to report!

With an awareness of not wanting to overstretch or compress the abdomen in any way and budgeting 75 minutes for my initial practice I was able to complete the following asana series:

Surya Namaskar A x 10 (minus the upward dog)
Padangusthasana
Padahastasana
Trikonasana and Parivrita Trikona with a gentle rotation
Parsvakonasana
Prasarita Podottanasana
Parsvottanasana
Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana
Utkatasana
Virabhadrasana

Janu Sirsasana
Marichyasana A (as a gentle twist)
Supported Navasana
Baddha Konasana (w/o bending forward)
Uppavishta Konasana
Supta Konasana

Sarvangasana (Iyengar style with blanket and strap-long hold as Sarvangasana is the "Medicine Cabinet" of yoga)
Halasana
Karnapidasana
Mathsyasana with straight legs, keeping arch in my upper back, neck
Sirsasana
Yoga Mudra
Sukhasana
Resting

I feel I could actually do more, but I wanted to stick with things that were fairly easy and could be performed with minimal risk. The most wonderful part for me was not being goal oriented, rather oriented to experiencing my new body.

I'll continue posting my journey of appendix free yoga. Thanks for reading!

namaste,
adarsh

No comments: