Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Kobe Bryant & Me

While scrolling through the google news the other day, i caught a headline to the effect of "Kobe Bryant's season may be finished due to ankle injury." This reminded me of the many stories that i heard while visiting the clinic of Active Isolated Stretching founder Aaron Mattes.

One story in particular was how Michael Jordan had a potentially season-ending ankle sprain, but with the immediate application of Active Isolated Stretching and ice, he was back on the court by the 3rd quarter of the game.

Just yesterday, while running after my 3 year old, I turned my foot in a funny way on the sidewalk and tweaked my ankle. It did hurt a little, but in the moment i did not pay too much attention. During the middle of the night, I woke to have a drink of water. When I got out of bed, my ankle was very sore. I limped to the kitchen and then hobbled back to bed.

In bed, I stretched the foot for a few minutes for relief then nodded off to sleep with the worry in my mind that I would be limping along the yoga studio the next day...

The next morning, with ankle pain and minor swelling still present. I went through my normal quick routine of a shower and coffee/tea and sat down for a few more minutes of stretching. About halfway though my AIS calf/foot sequence I had an audible "pop" in the foot. After cycling to the yoga studio and completing my normal asana practice, my ankle felt normal.

I felt very empowered (and lucky) to be able to quickly and effectively treat and injury that may have put me on the bench for days or weeks...I'll keep stretching the area over the next few days to make sure that I'm in the clear, but as of now, it feels really good and stable.

Good news for Kobe too, he was able to return to play a few days after his sprain.

No comments: