Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A Day in the Life

I am often asked what a typical day is like as a yoga teacher, so i thought today i would post a little timeline:

-3:40am The alarm on the cell phone alerts me with it's cheerful ringtone to "Rise!"
-(this morning provided the special challenge of having not slept very much since both children are sick. One found his way into bed with us, and pretty much pushed me out...)
-3:50 Negotiate with my sleepy body to get out of bed. The promise of a coffee reward helps
-4:10 After a quick shower, I am awake (more or less). Hop on my bike and cycle the 15 minutes to the yoga studio.
-4:25 Sneak past the sleeping security guard at the Space building
-4:27 Smile to myself as the "Ding!" of the elevator awakens security guard
-4:35 Arrive on the mat for practice. Although sleepy and stiff, a little yoga always seems to do the trick.
-5:55 Students begin arriving for Mysore Practice
-6:30 Rouse myself from Savasana, time to go to work
-6:35 After splashing cold water on my face, still feel a little "yoga drunk," begin assisting students
-9am With Mysore class finished. I rush home to check on the kids. Heleen has taken Evan back to the Dr. since he is still not well after a nasty ear infection.
-9:45 Everyone arrives back home, crying...Evan is in pain. We put on a DVD, seems to help pain.
-10:05 After a little coffee pick-me-up, I bike back to the studio.
-10:30 Teach Hatha Yoga class. I tend to be spontaneous in sequencing these classes. Today focused on proper shoulder mechanics in postures. Was a very nice session. I am very lucky to have such focused students (whom actually laugh at my bad yoga jokes!)
-12:15pm Bike home. Kids are down for a nap, sort of...After a little fussing, get everyone to sleep including Heleen...
-2:35 After lunch and another savasana, back to studio for afternoon Mysore Class.
-4:30 Post Mysore, visit the Apple store to check on my laptop that we dropped off in January, the 4th time I've visited & the 4th time it is still not repaired. I remain calm and polite...
-5pm Arrive home and am so happy that Madame has supper almost finished (am especially hungry). The kids are better and actually eat their food.
-6pm Everybody loves bath time! Bubbles and giggles, all is well with the world.
-6:30 Read several bedtime selections highlighted by The Three Bears by Byron Barton, one of our favorites.
-7pm Kids in bed.
-7:05 Write this blog post
-After, will hang out with madame, talk about how we are too tired to watch a movie. Will catch up on the latest Charlie Sheen news instead.
-9ish Off to sleepy land (while praying for uninterrupted sleep)
-3:40am Repeat

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, adarsh
i enjoyed your day, you`r a busy man, i hope that evan is doing better,
lots of love and kisses
greetje