Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Post Op Yoga Follow Up

It has been a little over a month since the appendix was removed from me' belly. When asked "how you doin' ?" I generally offer two answers:

1.) I'm doin' good, pretty much normal in fact. One of the hardest things was not being able to submerge my body for 6 weeks. This meant no bath time with baby...Finally, this past Sunday, Evan and I were able to slash around the tub again, yeaaaaa!

So, I'm pretty much normal as far as daily activities such as lifting, carrying, taking a bath.

2.) The other part that I feel compelled to answer is how I'm doing yoga-wise. At this point, I'm probably at about 65-70 % of where I was pre surgery. Before I get into specifics I should say that I'm so happy in practice at the moment and having a really good flow. I haven't been goal oriented in asana in a long time anyway. I'm really in the space of gratitude just to have 90 minutes to my self in the quiet of the early morning.

As far as specifics, I'm able to do all of the Primary Series (with care in Marichiasana D so the heel isn't pressing to much) and have added postures of the Intermediate. I've been cautious with deep back bending, but have started adding some things like a mellow version of kapotasana (if there is such a thing) and dropping back/standing from urdhva danurasana.

Given the fact that we are days away from hatching a new baby, I'm not expecting to intensify practice in any way....I'll do what I can, when I can! Or I'll simply substitute yoga for sleep...

It has been a great and interest January working with my changed body in asana practice. I do see the body as a Koan, to be worked with and investigated for greater insight into one's own nature. A large part of this is the ability to observe change without attraction or aversion. Just pure observation as it is...

What is the sound of one body breathing?


a


No comments: