Sunday, May 3, 2009

Update from Florida

It is hard to believe that it has only been 6 weeks that we left California. We have had so many changes and adventures, where to start? I guess I should begin with the present and work backwards. I'm sitting on the front porch of our rented house all by my lonesome...Heleen and Evan have left two days ago for a trip to the Netherlands. I am a little jealous that I do not get to see Spring time in Holland through Evan's big eyes. I am not jealous, however, that I did not get to take the 8 hour flight....All reports say that the little fella did just fine.


They left on Friday which is the day that we all returned from a spontaneous trip to NYC for a week of yoga with Sharath. Wow, that was something! It had been years since either of us had been to Manhattan (first time for Evan). That kid fit right in though. He was making friends with everyone on the subway.


The yoga was good. I've always enjoyed Sharath's slow steady count through the series. And I got a lot of help, I guess I was looking a little stiff! Sharath gave a talk on Wednesday evening at the Sri Ganesha Temple. It was a inspiring discourse on the Guru tradition. I love to hear Sharath speak of his grandfather. He is so sincere. After visiting different yoga schools and guru's throughout India, the one thing that has always struck me about Pattabhi Jois and Sharath is certain elegance and integrity that is there. It seams so pure, so clean. We left New York inspired and grateful.


We have enjoyed the perfect weather in Islamorada. This is the part where you get jealous! We have been in shorts and flip flops everyday since we arrived. Most days the temperature is in the 70's. It has not been overly hot at any point and so far no bugs. Our cat has had a ball. He is chasing lizards, birds and the various wildlife. Dude, there are even wild iguanas roaming the streets. It was shocking the first time I saw one. I was leaving the yoga studio and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a creature run by. I thought to myself, "that ain't no squirrel..." When I went over for a closer look, I could not believe this giant iguana.It looked like this creature was on steroids - I mean he was ripped! Nothing like the lazy overweight iguanas that I've seen as pets. This guy was wild looking. Hopefully they do not eat cats...

According to my guide book, the Florida Keys has the largest coral reef in North America. That means this is the place for diving and snorkeling...and dolphins! Several people have told me that they have encountered pods while out boating. We visited a facility near the yoga studio where one dolphin got a little fresh with Heleen.


more later,

adarsh

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello my dear adarsh

i loved your story and the pictures but we are so in love with your little evan, he is so cute, our marieke is crazy about him and i am to!!
we are going to enjoy the last day with heleen and evan and wil tresuare every minut
i hope my english is understandeble???
you will see them soon again but we will miss them.

lots of love and a big kiss from greetje

adarsh, heleen, kitty, huggy bear said...

yes, perfect english! I agree, he is pretty darn cute. It is very quiet here without him. A little too quiet. I like having time to myself, but I do miss my huggie (and mamma too) Send them back soon!

Anonymous said...

marieke wants to keep him but you will have them both back tomorrow....
we are bringing heleen and evan to the airport and than follows our hard goodbuy`s....

greetings from all of us
greetje